Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Adventure Begins.

I am the wife of Greg Larson; mother to Jessica, Adam, Mitchell, and Joshua, MIL to James, Jamie, Charlene, and Monica, and grandmother to Lydia, Noah, Sophia, Isaiah, Chloeigh, A.J., Kharleigh, Ella, Reier, Atari, and Abbygail.
I was a Russian Linguist in the Air Force, which I gave up to be a stay-at-home mom almost 28 years ago. I have studied Spanish, French, Russian, Italian, German, and Fante (a tribal language from the Central Region of the country Ghana in West Africa). I have lived in Germany (twice), Italy and Africa, and in the U.S. I have lived in: Delaware (twice), Georgia, California, Texas, Maryland, Kansas, North Dakota, Arkansas, Michigan and Missouri. I have been a short-term exchange student in Panama, and traveled extensively throughout Europe and parts of Africa.
When my husband retired from the Air Force, he pursued a degree in Bible and then we went into the mission field, first to Africa for over 4 years, then to Germany for two and a half. After almost 30 years of following him all over the globe (we have not lived anywhere for more than about 4 years since we have been married), he finally decided it was time to start chasing my dream with me!
My husband is a city boy, but I am a country girl. I grew up on a small farm in rural Delaware (also known as "lower-slower Delaware" by those who live in the big city in the northern county) and have always dreamed of getting back to the country and having a farm of my own some day.
But, I have been off the farm for so long that I have forgotten much of what I ever knew about it. We never had many animals, and what we had my dad mostly took care of. I mean, I rode the horses, helped in the chicken house (20,000 broilers), weeded the garden, helped with the canning and freezing, and helped take care of the dogs. But Dad did the bulk of it, plus took care of the pigs and cows, when we had them.
It has long been my dream to raise sheep, horses, dogs and a few chickens (for eggs and meat). We never had any sheep, but I vaguely remember having a goat when I was about three!
So, in December of 2009 we moved back to America from Germany, and began to look for a farm. We found 80 acres in north-central Missouri and moved in on March 29th of 2010. And that is where this journey begins.

2 comments:

  1. o wow Brenda!!!! I had no idea how educated you were, not to mean that I thought you weren't cuz i knew you were but wow, I am in awe of all you have done and studied!!! I can't wait to read more!!! Josh wants to have a farm someday too so maybe we can learn thru your experiences, yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, what an adventure you have had and still more to come....xx

    ReplyDelete